How Can You Help?
We believe that a regular yoga practice can have incredible benefits for students living with the experience of mood disorders to whom cost can be an issue. Our goal is to get six-month yoga passes into the hands of those that would benefit most from them. There are several ways that you can get involved:
With a referral from your health-care provider, you can apply for and receive a six-month yoga pass to a yoga studio in your area. You will be invited to exclusive BMP monthly sessions where you can learn about yoga, meditation, and self-care; you will also be welcome to attend any class at the studio with an emphasis on classes taught by BMP-certified teachers. BMP teachers have been taught to create a safe space and reduce the possibility of triggering language and actions that might make you feel unsafe or anxious. The goal of BMP Partner Studios and Teachers is to make you feel welcome and comfortable so that your yoga practice can benefit you in the most effective way.
Blu Matter Project acts as a liaison between qualified recipients living with the experience of mood disorders and Partner Studios offering a regular yoga practice for those individuals. Qualified and registered participants will receive a six-month unlimited yoga pass and be expected to attend a minimum of two yoga sessions a week at their local studio. They will also attend monthly community events to gain valuable information for maintaining their yoga practice and participate in group discussions around various aspects of exercise and mental health.
Blu Matter Project offers Blu Matter Project Yoga Teacher Training annually in Toronto, Ontario. If you’re outside of Toronto, you can also encourage your studio to get involved in Blu Matter Project in order to bring the training to you.
A large number of your students have experienced past traumas or are living with mood disorders. Understanding the basics of trauma-sensitive yoga can help you create a welcoming space that is more inclusive of those who need extra support in their yoga practice.
Studying with Blu Matter Project will allow you to take your teaching to the next level and help you connect with students that might feel like a yoga studio is not the safest place for them. The training is taught by trauma experts and offers a significant tool for you to use in your daily classes.
- BMP training can be attended by teachers and non-teachers alike, but certification will only be granted to Yoga Alliance-certified teachers and other professional instructors.
- This training is also appropriate for mental health professionals.
By certifying teachers at your studio, you can become a Blu Matter Project Partner and offer BMP-certified classes to BMP participants. All costs associated with offering the no-cost passes to participants are tax-deductible, as these costs are considered a donation to Blu Matter Project, which is a registered charity.
Blu Matter Project affiliate studios are trained to offer trauma-sensitive yoga classes to Blu Matter participants and are supported in running six-month Blu Matter cohorts. Affiliation with Blu Matter Project is an incredible way to offer mental health support in your community and deepen the training and understanding of your teaching staff.
Along with extending support into your community, Blu Matter Project also provides tax receipts to Partner studios for all costs associated with accepting Blu Matter participants and running Blu Matter classes. Affiliating with Blu Matter Project is also an effective way to earn media coverage for your studio, as BMP is currently the only program of its kind in Canada.
Blu Matter Project will be with you every step of the way to ensure that your teachers and studio managers are trained and prepared to run the BMP program. We offer extensive and in-depth training as well as 24/7 support to our partners.
We are now accepting applications for partner studios in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Halifax. Please click here to request more information or click here to access the application form directly.
- Studio must complete an application process with BMP to ensure fit of program
- Must be willing to put at least one teacher through trauma-sensitive yoga teacher training and operational training.
- Must be willing to donate physical studio space for welcome meeting and monthly BMP meetings for participants.
- Must be able to recruit participants through promotion of program within local community
Blu Matter Project welcomes all individuals currently diagnosed with mood disorder to download the application. If you meet the eligibility requirements and would like to apply, please fill in and submit the application form.Apply
- 20 years of age and over
- Interest in practicing yoga
- Able to commit to 2-3 yoga classes each week at a BMP Partner Studio
- Able to commit to yoga classes, a monthly meeting and monthly questionnaires
- Along with your completed application, a letter from your physician or treatment facility is required that confirms you have been diagnosed with mood disorder
- Your referring physician must also provide their contact information and a statement confirming that they are available and willing to track your progress and provide support for you when necessary
- It is important to note that Blu Matter Project recognizes that mood disorders emerge on a continuum. However, general guidelines are required to ensure the project’s efficacy.
Upon receiving your application, a member of our project team will contact you with more information regarding the program.
As a Donor
Blu Matter Project runs on the contributions of our generous corporate and personal donors. All donations are tax-deductible and go directly to supporting our innovative mental health programming. Learn more about the program or donate now.
As a Volunteer
Blu Matter Project occasionally relies on volunteers to help with events; find out more on our upcoming events page. If you would like to volunteer your skills (ie. in marketing and promotion), the volunteer hours can be tax-deductible. Fill in the form below to request more information.